Powder spreadability definition and measurement methodologies
Define standardized spreadability parameters which meet the requirements of the PBF process and understand the suitability of the available powder test methods.
- Good understanding of powder spreadability is essential to ensure that metal powder can be made to spread well in powder bed fusion (PBF) machines.
- It is not clear whether existing ASTM standard and non-standard test methods for powder flowability adequately capture the requirement for spreadability in PBF.
- Understanding how spreadability effects process performance and part quality is limited and exacerbated by the wide range of PBF machine designs available.
- This project will address the following gap in the AMSC roadmap – ‘PM2: Spreadability’.
- Ultimately, this will enable AM users to optimise the powder-process property relationship for PBF.
- Define standardised spreadability parameters which meet the requirements of the PBF process and understand the suitability of available powder test methods.
- Understand what good spreading powder means in terms of process performance and part quality so that spreadability limits can be set.
- WK71393 - Additive Manufacturing of Metals - Feedstock materials - Guide for Assessment of Powder Spreadability
Figure 1: Spreadability project workflow
Figure 2: Surface topology image (left) and image of the test bed (right)